Fact # however many about me: I care what my kids look like. Always have, always will. (That is not to say they don't look like hooligans their fair share of the time, but we sure try.) Matching outfits, gelled hair- come on, are you really surprised? But, it isn't just physical appearance, I care how they act as well. Needless to say, my kids will not be the ones burping on command, using bad words or being disrespectful (again- this is not a goal achieved by any means). Call me strict, boring, whatever you want. I have my reasons.
Living outside of Utah being one of them. Many people, especially those outside of the church, are not used to having large families. Three may be the max in a lot of cases. Therefore, having three kids so "close" in age (close here being less than three or four years) makes us the object of attention just about wherever we go. Most of this attention is positive- especially with Emma being so little (and so adoreable!). But- when my kids look (and act) like unkempt little orphans, I expect people to assume I am popping out babies faster than I can keep up with them. I lose all credibility and influence. I don't know how much of an influence I have or ever will be on people, but I like to keep myself open to the opportunity at least. And I hope the same for my kids.
Maybe this is why both of my kids have had regular haircuts since they were five months old. Sometimes I feel like it grows faster than I can keep up with, but there is definitely a difference between this...
and this...
In fact, to be truthful, it doesn't have anything to do with keeping up with how fast their hair grows. If it weren't for this...
Haircuts would be happening on a much more regular basis around here.
So overall, I get them dressed in the morning (and I don't count pajamas and dressups as clothes- unless you are in fact Batman- and Sunday and special occasions aren't the only days clothes should coordinate and smell clean), do their hair on a daily basis (even if it doesn't always stay that way) and cut it long before it covers their eyes, ears and other necessary facial features, I expect good manners (including saying please and thankyou, showing gratitude rather than expectation, and controlling bodily functions to name a few) and other such basics.
I am not planning on one of them being President of the United States or anything, if that is what you are thinking. Just well rounded, influential, ambitious, classy. Call me Hitler in heels if you must, but shoot high and start young- that's my philosophy. Is that so bad?
7 comments:
I totally agree with every word of this. I really want to be better about the whole hair thing. But itn never stays nice for very long. But we are getting better.
Ditto! I agree. Absolutely. People are always surprised that Jack at 2 says please and excuse me, personally I spend way too much time teacher other children and really hated when simple things like this were missing...so I willingly join your ranks! PS where do you get clippers for hair...I am thinking about doing Jack's because I hate having to pay to get it done all the time.
Please ignore all my typos. I am trying to hurry and it isn't helping. :)
I've never thought that you kids looked unkept or anything! They always look super cute to me! I feel like that with Cameron sometimes...his hair grows too fast for me to cut it sometimes and it's a chore!
Yes, I agree. In theory. And perhaps now that the horror that was January has passed perhaps I will get my kids dressed every day again :)
I agree with this too. I always do the girls hair and get them dressed regardless of weather or not we are going anywhere and sometimes when I just want to have a pj day the girls refuse because they want to get dressed like they are used to doing. I am also all for the teaching them manners thing.
Right there with you! It grows soo fast, and takes soo long to clean up after haircuts.
Post a Comment