Friday, February 5, 2010

Extra Credit

Ahhh...when I think of how long that last post took and how much more I have to go, it isn't inspiring.  Probably not to you readers either.  So, in the name of condensing, I will describe this next part of our relationship in scenes- fewest words possible, promise.  Here goes:

Scene 1 (a class or two after the first notice):
Each class was approximately three hours long and so a much needed break was granted somewhere in the middle.  Usually I only had time to use the bathroom, organize my notes/folder, and/or made small talk with the other front-ish rowers.  But, since the geography department was obviously a little desperate for participation, once in a while there would be snacks and other activities out in the hall.  Our professor was over the geography department, so he tended to use his "influence" to encourage us to participate.  Needless to say, for these occasions our break was conviniently that much longer.  This particular class period they had brought donuts.  My schedule on Thursdays usually went something like this: school, work, rock climbing, geography- no time for lunch/breaks.  I was all for a donut, even if it came with a pressure filled flyer/conversation with another geography club member.  My intentions were to walk back to the room, but on the way I passed Andrew eating his own donut leaned up against the wall.  (On an honest day, he admits to intentionally talking to me, scoping out his level of interest on taking me out.  On his not so honest days, he will claim the first "move" was made by me later on.  Stay tuned.)  Before I had time to register that he was the guy I had seen two or three classes before, he talked.  The conversation went something like this:
A: "Do you know what these are for?"
L: "No.  Probably just another one of those geography club things."
A: "Huh."
Romantic...intense...sparks flying right???  Next scene.

Scene 2 (two classes later):  The geography club was at it again.  Only this was their big one.  An evening BBQ.  Our professor pulled out the big guns this time.  Class was cut short and extra credit was offered to those who attended.  Being the over acheiver that I was I had absolutely no need for extra credit, but still- there I went making sure my "A" was engraved in stone.  Based on what I said before about his rarely attending class and his minimal efforts, Andrew on the other hand, DID need the credit.  So, to the BBQ he went as well.  Here is where Andrew's version gets all twisted in favor of his vanity.  What actually happened:  He arrived first (probably a result of his record for driving too fast) along with another kid from the class we both knew (one of those outgoing, knows everyone in the class types).  This kid, Chad was his name, was kicking around a soccer ball while Andrew sat on top of the farthest picnic table watching.  I arrive, again wearing the hat which proves I had no intentions of impressing anyone, and scope the scene for anyone "safe" to talk to.  Safe meaning someone from my class who was there for the same purposes as I.  (I had no idea just how involved this BBQ had to be.  Was it a sign your name and leave kind of thing, or was some further amount of participation involved?)  I figured they'd been there longer than I, they might know.  And, remember, I HAD talked to him before right?  So, over to the table I went with the "apparently very forward" question of, "do you know what we are supposed to be doing?"  He didn't, so we waited for instruction.  And with waiting came talking- to be honest, mostly about this common classmate Chad.  Chad joined not long after and we all had some normal, pleasant conversation.  Leaving as soon as was possible, we walked out to the parking lot at the same time.  No, in case you are wondering, a date invite was not the question I was asked.  Rather, it went something like this...
A:  "Hey, I am going to be in Arizona next week picking up a car and won't make it back for class.  Would you mind taking notes for me?"  (We had an exam coming up and he knew it.)
L: "Sure."
Again, so romantic.  Then again, if I were Andrew I COULD say that was pretty much a marriage proposal, don't you agree?

Before the next scene, I must explain what happened.  Turns out at the next class, the professor announced that we were ahead of schedule and the exam would be moved up to the following week.  Not only that, the notes from this particular lecture would be a big part of the test.  (To tell you the truth, I think he was just a little bent out of shape on lack of attendance.)  Not planning on delivering the notes until the next class, I began to panic.  He wouldn't know about the exam moving up, wouldn't have the notes- I was taking the full responsibility for his grade onto my own shoulders.  I didn't have his number, I didn't even know his last name so I couldn't call (not that I would have- I had a 'will never call a boy' rule set for myself and had no intention of breaking it.) 

Scene 3 (the exam  night):  We had the exam the next week, and he easily passed (he is one of those extrememly well test takers- makes me sick).  Turns out there was no reason for worrying or the notes (which, sadly to say, I had photo copied for him- slacker) for that matter.  Of course, the way to impress any girl is to be mean, though, right?  So, on the way out to the parking lot, he tried to give me grief for not getting the notes to him- all the while thinking the whole thing funny.  No respect for my worry on his behalf.  Then he asked me out.  Not for my number, that would have made it too easy to give an excuse on a future occasion.  No, he asked me out for Saturday (two days later) and I said yes.  Not that I didn't want to go out, I gave every guy the one date advantage.  But playing through my mind were the following facts: 1.  He is bold.  He asks in person which makes giving excuses (for future dates) hard to do.  2.  It is early on in the semester, so it could make for three months of awkward avoidance.  Positive thinking right?  Regardless, we had a date set for Saturday.

Stay tuned for:  Working Around the System

PS  I really tried to make this shorter, I did, but it just isn't possible.  My memory is terrible, so I have to get these details onto paper before I forget them.  After all, this is more for posterity than reader enjoyment, sorry.  And, there will be more pictures I promise.  After all, we are just making it to the first date- we aren't exactly to the "picture taking" point of a relationship.  More to come.

3 comments:

blaine and michelle said...

I'm probably enjoying this more than posterity, to be honest. Love it.

heidijogoody said...

thanks for sharing iys fun to hear stories of how people meet

Jacqui said...

Ya, I think it's pretty fun. I love that you and Michelle are doing this.