If you know us (at least the kids and I), you already know how much we LOVE LOVE LOVE to make a big deal about special events and holidays. It makes life just that much more exciting! Having kids makes it all the easier too. To be honest, if finances were unlimited, the condition would be a whole lot worse- who knows what I would WANT to do. Andrew has to keep me in check sometimes, but overall he still supports my childish whims. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I have already engendered this passion in my little boys. They soak up all the excitement and continue it for days afterwards (playing Halloween or birthday or whatever occasion we have just celebrated.) In the case that I haven't made the point clear enough- it doesn't matter whose birthday it is, guaranteed they are more excited than the birthday person themself- nothing to do with presents!
So, for Valentine's Day this year, we (Michelle and I) decided to have a little party for the kids and their church friends. The boys weren't just involved in the festivities themselves, mind you, but rather they were involved in every last detail- from signing Valentine's cards, to filling up treat bags, picking out yummy red, pink and white snacks/treats at the store and getting the house ready for visitors.
Here is what we ended up doing: (I must have been running around too much during the actual party, because I failed to get pictures of the party guests and/or activities as they were going on. Disappointing. Here are some after pictures that give you the general idea-they are just going to have to do this time.)
Cupid in Training:
It will come at no surprise that Gavin was the master at this game (hopefully that is not a sign of things to come). Shooting an arrow with a bow into the center of a heart is a lot more difficult than you'd think- if you are a kid. Not for this little guy though. He was dead on just about every time (and believe me, he took more than his share of turns-even until days later). Granted, he did have the advantage though. He's been his dad's hunter in training practically since birth. He did his old man proud on this one! All in all I think the game was a "bullseye!"
At this point, we breaked for snacks and unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the food (except this after thought). It was quite the spread: heart shaped sandwiches, fruits and veggies, pink and white cookies, donuts, etc., crackers, jigglers and more. Delicious.
Beaded Necklaces:
These were an absolute hit (despite the looks on my boys faces in the after picture. They were protesting the picture, not the necklaces FYI.) They got to spell their names and decorate them to their "hearts" content. My boys still wear these daily and lovingly refer to them as "their gold medals." I can handle girly necklaces in that case!
And what Valentine's Day party would be complete without decorating cookies with more sugar than can possibly be stomached in one sitting (if at all)? These were the boys end results. Pastry chefs to be? Maybe.
And Missy Sue? She enjoyed the events, dressed to the nine's in her best Valentines ensemble, for about 30 minutes before turning in. What a life!
It has been almost two weeks now and my boys are just now phasing out of Valentine's mode. With the first day of Spring and Easter just around the corner...let the planning begin!
3 comments:
I want you to share ideas for Spring and Easter. I am trying to do more activities like this with Jack but I need some ideas. Please share...do you celebrate or do anything fun for St. Patrick's Day?
I love that you make a big deal about everything. Life at your house must be so much fun.
You guys`are always doing such fun things
Post a Comment