Friday, March 12, 2010

Sad

So a young girl came over today to do my medical exam (life insurance purposes).  She was a sweet girl, complimentary, really nice to the boys.  Emma was asleep for her morning nap, but thanks to pink baby stuff everywhere and pictures on the wall, she guessed that we had a little girl as well.  I told her we had a nine month old baby girl and she casually asked when her birthday was.  I told her June 7 of this last year and the girl paused in her preparations to look at me.

"That is such a coincidence."  she said.
"Oh really, why?"  I asked to which she replied,
"My little girl was born on June 6."
Taking this as a commonality that could be expanded on to further break the ice, I continued with,
"Oh, then you know EXACTLY what it is like.  All the fun things she is doing and how fast they grow..."
"Actually, I don't." she said.  "My little girl passed away from SIDS five months ago."

My heart broke for that sweet young mother.  She showed me pictures and told me her name.  Her response to my apologizes was simply that "there must be a reason, right."  What a strong girl.  I further found out we had many similarities, this girl and I.  We were both born in and had family in Utah, we are both LDS, she has a 3 year old son about Tristan's age and we like many of the same names for children- among other things.  She was studying to become a medical assistant (a career path I considered before settling on teaching) and was set to do her internship when her daughter passed away.  She had only been doing the job she was at (taking blood samples, blood pressures, etc.) for less than five months and her husband was only just returning to work (he was the one who found their daughter.)  That afternoon they were going to pick up their daughter's headstone.

I pray for this little family.  I really do.  They had done everything right- it was just one of those things.  "There must be a reason, right."  Heavenly Father, please bless this sweet girl and her family.

And thank you for my own.
I think I will love my babies awhile longer today.    

4 comments:

jamie said...

That is so sad...devastating. What a strong woman.

Kristin D. said...

those stories just break my heart. Parents like that are so strong and such a wonderful example to the rest of us of relying on the Lord and enduring to the end.

blaine and michelle said...

So heartbreaking. I pray for her, too.

heidijogoody said...

Oh my goodness that is so sad! I bet it truely helped here though to talk with you about it all.