Friday, April 9, 2010

Family "All the Time"

So, to keep up with my desire to post events in order I should have been posting these activities in between each Saturday family outing.  But alas, I did not and so here I am.  Rather than use four separate posts, however, I'll tell you what.  How about I condense these into one.  Deal?

These? You ask.  Well, I have recently extended myself in the family outing arena.  While Saturday family time is the most important, I want to make sure we are doing things DURING the week (preferably with all of us, although that is not always possible and sometimes it is just me and the kiddos) to make life fun and exciting.  So the goal is- as often as possible- one activity each week that is not our "norm."  (Now just to clarify: Andrew just does this kind of stuff spontaneously.  I, on the other hand, have a need to over plan things.  Combined, though, it seems to be working out.)

Activity 1: Cowboys and Indians (Andrew)
Andrew has always loved cowboys and Indians.  Correction, Andrew has always loved Indians.  I think there was a time in his life (if not still) that he wanted to really BE one.  Therefore, each outing to the sporting goods store generally results in the search for hunting/Indian themed toys for the boys.  One of which being plastic cowboys and Indians (army guys work too, but are not near as preferred.)  Up until recently, the search has been in vain.  A recent trip to the grocery store and look what I found...

 A bag of rubber bands later and let's just say that it wasn't long before I found this.  
 A trip down memory lane for Andrew proved to be the PERFECT activity for some quality daddy time (and has proven to be several times since as well.)   Note: Gavin is getting as good as Andrew.  Tristan tries but prefers assistance.  (I personally think he has figured out that with help he can win.)  And Emma thinks the whole thing is hilarious and loves to watch from her exersaucer.  I love the whole thing and find a secret pleasure in watching my little family in such a simple activity.

Activity 2: Smoothie Straws (Lyndsey)
I probably didn't even have to mention that this one was my idea, just judging from the title.  What can I say?  I am a woman and have no problem admitting it!  Actually, I had a little help with this one.  We have this holiday/seasonal craft book and Gavin is always asking to do the activities.  He can read by himself and I think half of his fun is in telling me what materials/ingredients are needed.  So, on a random night one week, we pulled out the construction paper, made us some neat-o straw ornaments and blended up some strawberry banana smoothies.  Let's just say that Andrew was in to the smoothies, but not so much the paper butterflies/dragonflies.  Still works.  Judge for yourself whether the activity was a success:


Activity 3:  Snowman (Lyndsey)
If you watch the news at all or live in Denver yourself, you know that we got hit with a huge amount of snow a few weeks ago.  Actually, it was pretty much the day after we got back from Utah.  The boys asked and asked to go out and play in the snow, but with all the unpacking and such I put it off longer than I would have liked.  Feeling back for cooping them up in the house after having been allowed to run free at grandma's for a week, we piled on our snow gear (yes, me included.  Emma was napping and we had a good couple of hours to dedicate to our task) and set out to build a snowman.  Andrew, of course, has to work during the day, so I knew the rolling and lifting would be up to me.  I was a little worried, but still willing to give it my best.  Turns out my worrying was in vain.  We had waited too long and the top layer of snow was basically a solid sheet of ice.  (If you don't get to the snow in the first day, the sunny days melt the top layers and then refreeze them again at night.)  Not willing to give up so easily, I came up with a plan B.  See for yourself:
There isn't much more to say than that.  The boys were thrilled at their snowman and I was even more so at the lack of lifting.  (PS Thanks Grandma Tina for the snowman kit!  We will use it again and again, I am sure.)
The only downside...here is "Frosty" a few hours later...
Oh well.  The boys thought that was pretty great too!  And, this way there was more time to spend playing in the snow (rather than laboring over a snowman). 

Activity: successful.
(Yes that is Tristan during the snowball fight, but he is only playing.  So dramatic!)

Activity 4: Indoor Soccer (Andrew)
Again, I am sure you guessed the source of this brilliant idea.  Gavin is playing his first season of soccer this Spring (now) and to get him ready, daddy made sure he had all the "needed" equipment.  Shin guards, cleats, soccer shorts, matching ball and...a GOAL!  But, why set up a goal outside when you can fit it inside?  I have a few reasons, but see for yourself who won that debate:
Now, regardless of weather, soccer is always an option.  (They haven't quite figured out how to kick the ball up off the floor yet, so I really can't complain.)  On a REALLY good day, the Fisher Price basketball hoop is set up along side the goal.  Gavin's red soccer shirt serves, to him, as his soccer jersey and Jazz shirt (and just about any other purpose imaginable) so he is prepared for whatever the match-up.  The boys are obsessed with their Brazil soccer jerseys- so much so, in fact, that I had to make a rule that they can only wear them on Saturdays when daddy is home (otherwise they'd eat, sleep and probably bathe in them).  Don't worry, the Brazil jersey is on underneath, only, for the time being, it has a companion!  Andrew and I serve as coaches and Emma, to the boys insisting and delight, the "ballet dancing cheerleader."  What a family!

And there you have it.  More to come...stay tuned!

6 comments:

Kristin D. said...

I loved reading all the new things you put up. It makes me realize that I need to be better about doing these things with my girls.

Anonymous said...

I am always so amazed at the activities and fun stuff you and Andrew come up with. Ya'll are such great parents. I love the smowman idea and the straws. Such a good idea! Can't believe Gavin is reading and that Emma doesn't know Aunt Kathi! Sooooo sad about that.

heidijogoody said...

Looks like all really fun activities. The boys sure do look to be enjoying themselves

heidijogoody said...

Looks like all really fun activities. The boys sure do look to be enjoying themselves

blaine and michelle said...

I loved that snowman. It's sad he only lasted a few hours. Although, I'm kinda glad the snow melts. You guys are a lot of fun.

Heather said...

Once again I am super impressed! It looks like Jack and I need to get a bit more creative with our time. PS. I love your playroom.