Friday, April 30, 2010

First Day of Spring...Late

Since Conference was the previous Saturday and we didn't venture out for our family activity, the following Saturday was an all day event.  I guess that is to be expected with celebrating Spring/Easter festivities though.  Normally we do these on March 21 (the first day of Spring), but this year we were in Utah visiting family and it took a while to get around to it (as you can see).  Better late than never though, right?!

Saturday, April 11, 2010
First item on the agenda: coloring eggs.  Neither Andrew or I are fans of hard boiled eggs, so I was in the search for another option this year.  Look no further, our holiday activity book came to the rescue.

Yes, you read right...Easter Chicky Chums.  Instead of hard boiling the eggs, you blow out the inside leaving a hollow shell.  Then: color as desired
decorate with colored card stock, tissue paper and feathers and you end up with
Easter Chicky Chums!!! As you can see, the boys LOVED LOVED LOVED them.
And Emma loved doing her own version of coloring- on the floor.  Good thing she doesn't know how to actually color.  She was just content to empty the crayon box onto the tile.  Hey- she's happy, I'm happy.
And, yes.  Just in case our little Easter craft was a flop, we colored some hard boiled eggs as well.  Just a few for the boys baskets (I'll explain later.)

During all this hard work, something quite interesting happened.  We walked outside to find...
EGGS hidden all over the yard!
Each child, young and old, spent the next half hour collecting more than their fair share of candy filled eggs.  The end results:
You should have seen the counting/opening of their loot!  Emma, rather than being content with one egg and one piece of candy as I expected (you know little ones- once they find one piece of sugary goodness they are usually occupied) wanted in on both of the boys treats as well.  Good thing they love their sister and let her do her thing.  With that much candy, I would surely hope so.
In a belated effort to get something decent into their stomachs before they devoured all that sugar, we headed to the most Easter-y/Spring-y (and still child friendly) eating place we could think of.
Chic-fil-A (get it...chicks, Spring.  Thanks for the gift card grandma Tina! :) )
Andrew was out of town, so he missed the festivities- but all in all, I think we had a pretty successful first day of Spring (late as it was).  And as for those left over eggs...

We put them in their empty baskets, left them by the door and in the morning...

2 comments:

Kristin D. said...

Wow, I am always surprised at how much energy you have. I wish I had as much as you, to do so many huge things in one day.

heidijogoody said...

Those crafts are darling! Looks like the kids came out dang good with lots of eggs!