Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Is it a Bear or a Lake?

July 11-15
(Again, I skipped a week, but only because it was Tristan's birthday and we already covered that one.  So much for order. :) )

With the first day of school around the corner (or should I say, "around the weekend"), Andrew suggests one last little getaway.  When you consider it was only 5 days including driving, I guess it was little- but overall it was like a refreshing splash of cold water.  Lake water, that is.

Every year, on the second weekend in August, my dad's side of the family has a reunion at Bear Lake.  My aunt and uncle own beach front property out there- and as for the rest of us, we haul in our tents, toys and whatever else we need to make for a relaxing weekend.  Andrew couldn't take the time off work, but must have sensed we needed some fun in the sun before we settled in for the fall.  And we had just that.  The weekend was filled with boating, sand castle constructing, campfires/marshmallow roasts, paper digs (a tradition older than I am- digging for candy/prizes in shredded paper), potlucks, petting farms, visiting magicians and more.  Well worth the eight hour drive there and back, although you might not think it.  I didn't capture the half of it on camera, but here is a little sneak peak at what I did get.

(On the boat.  Oh, how I love being on a boat.  Looks like the kiddos agree- even squished little Emma girl!)
 (At the petting farm.  Governor Huntsman is Grandpa Jeff's cousin, so not only did he arrange the activity, but the kids got a horseback ride from the Governor himself!)

 (The traditional paper dig- probably the number one (or at least number two) highlight of Bear Lake!)
 (Don't know how this one got down here, but dancing on the boat was a regular event.  The boys learned the song "We Will Rock You" and it is their favorite to this day.)
 (Ever seen green fire.  It is a family secret- perhaps one day we will show you!)
 (Unfortunately it isn't uncommon for our family to see some news breaking events up at the Lake.  One year a plane crashed- this year it was an up close shot at a life flight rescue.)
(And, the magician.  I am not going to lie- he was pretty entertaining.  The boys sure thought so and play "magician" a little more often then they used to.)

The best way I can describe the weekend is like the little surge of adrenaline that comes when cold water gets thrown in your face.  By far, my favorite family tradition.  Just what I needed to get ready to send my baby off to school the next week!

PS I forgot to tie in the title of the post.  As we reach the point in the drive when the lake comes into view for the first time, Tristan announces, "that's not Bear Lake.  It doesn't have ears that point up or a face..."  To which I respond, "it's not a bear, bug.  It's a lake...you see...water.  Bear is just what they named it."  Why?  I actually do not know.  Later on, out on the boat in the middle of the lake, Grandpa Jeff announces that we are floating over the spot where the Bear Lake monster lives.  To which Tristan replies, "it's a bear Grandpa. That's just what they named it."  Cute confusion.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh gosh! that's funny! It was so good to see you and your kids! I have missed you guys so much, especially you Lynds!!! I really do!