Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Lost in Translation

I am copying some of the writing of this post from Michelle, but the inspiration, I am afraid, comes from personal experience.  You see, having three kids ages five and under is not exactly the norm if you live anywhere other than Utah.  And as such, there are a few phrases that a mom like me hears a lot while out and about.  Sometimes they are said to amuse, sometimes they are meant with the best of intentions, and sometimes they are purely just insults with a spoon full of sugar.  Depends on the person, depends on how it is said, and depends on what is or is not going on (aka, have they been waiting in line for 20 minutes as you unload your cart full of food while your kids beg to buy the cheap toys at the checkout.  You get my drift.)  Here is a list of a few of my frequently heard comments, and what they could, and often do, actually mean.


"Oh, wow, you have your hands full." = "It is obvious you can't control your children in public." (Most common, by far.)
"You have THREE kids? You look way too young." = "You are either irresponsible or crazy.  Probably both."
"Oh, I see you finally got your girl." = "The only logical explanation for having three is that you didn't get both genders on the first two tries.  Greed and/or  impatience, however, is the only explanation for you having them so close." 
"You're brave." = "You're crazy."
"You need a nanny." = "It's obvious you can't handle that many kids by yourself."
"How do you do it?" = "Are you on Welfare?  Should I be concerned?"
"I couldn't do it."  = "You shouldn't have done it."
"Your kids are BEAUTIFUL!" = "Your kids are BEAUTIFUL!" because, well, they are, and even judgmental strangers can see that. 
And I had to add another one of Michelle's because I think it is funny.
"You look GREAT for four kids." = "You're still kind of fat but I'll cut you some slack because of the four pregnancies thing."

And just for emphasis, I will add her comments on Utah verses...well...not Utah.  Once again, funny.
"I know my UT friends might not understand why I get comments like this every day, but remember that I live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in Denver, where the sight of a 26 year old with 4 kids under 5 is about as common as seeing Big Foot riding the Loch Ness Monster down I-25."

True.  

Most days I just ignore them and think to myself that they do not know what they are missing.  And then there are days when something like this happens...


and I can't say that I blame them.

1 comments:

heidijogoody said...

I have actually gotten the you have your hands full thing alot! even here in Utah :) another one I get all the time is oh bless your heart! hehe