I saw a good many posts about the first day of school (specifically Kindergarten) entitled such, and decided I may as well follow suit.
After a rushed registration, followed by an unorganized (on our part) back to school night, we faced the first day of school...for Gavin. Kindergarteners wouldn't start until the next week, so we focused on one Snow Springs Elementary student at a time. Gavin would be a later gator first grader in Ms. Oliekan's first grade class. What does that mean? Means he goes to school from 9:15 until 3:30 instead of 8:00 to 2:15. How you Early Birds do it, I will never know. (Hopefully). Half of the class comes at 8 for reading time and the rest of the class joins at 9:15. When the first half leaves at 2:15, the later half has their reading time- if that makes any sense. Gavin's bus picks him up at 8:45 in the morning...much better than 7:15 which is what it would be. The first day of school was rather chaotic, kids and parents everywhere, but none of that seemed to phase Gavin. Not knowing anyone...didn't phase him. Not having an assigned desk set up yet (due to his late registration) and having to spend the first day of school at the back table...didn't phase him. No nerves showed on that kid. Pure confidence. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later in a writing assignment that he wrote he was nervous about going to lunch. Even that, I wonder, may have been prompted. Within minutes, he had made friends and was settled into his new school. Such an independent, adaptable, social, confident little boy. As if he had been doing it for years, he got off the bus at 3:45, nothing but grins and good things to say. As it has been pretty much every day since.
All that (and the fact that he has been bored stiff with all the moving and the lack of school) and I'd say it was definitely a Whoo-Hoo!!! for Gavin going back to school. (And all day...LOVE IT!)
And Tristan. As with his birthday, he has been counting down the days until he got to go to school, pretty much ever since Gavin started Kindergarten. As the timing got closer, the whining and begging and asking how much longer increased drastically. Until, the day finally came. That was the worst. Tristan is in Mrs. Christensen's PM Kindergarten class which means he doesn't start school until 12:45 each day. His bus picks him up at 12:15, so from the time Gavin left for school until lunch was over...all I would hear was, "How come I can't go in the morning with Gavin?" Then a fit. "How many hours now mom?" Then a fit. Finally, the hour came and by that point...I was so ready to have the whining and fit throwing over with...there was no time for Boo-Hoo. I ushered him onto the bus, followed him to school, and ushered him right into his classroom heaving a sigh of relief to see the finally happy look on his face. He came home triply as excited telling me about all the things they did and people he sits by and things we need to talk about before tomorrow, etc. that again, I didn't have time to be sad. It wasn't until day two at the bus that a moment hit me...not a sad moment really, just nostalgic. My baby is growing up. Still, I can't say that I am not happy as a clam to have him in school and am looking forward to the day when he goes all day- just so I can stop hearing him complain about waiting for school time to come around. Whoo- Hoo number two!
Just writing this post, I feel the nostalgia come on again...for both of them. Still no boo-hoo though. Just love my little big boys! How much longer until Emma starts again? :)











0 comments:
Post a Comment