Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Brainwashed

Need I say more?

Underestimating his son's incredible memory capabilities, Andrew made the mistake of mentioning, to Gavin, the possibility of buying him a bow like daddy's the next time we went to "the hunting store." Just like the little elephant he is that never forgets, Gavin spent the entire day reminding us that he remembered. For example, I'd say "Gavin, it is naptime", and he would reply, "okay, THEN we go to the hunting store and buy my new-one bow." "Gavin, eat your lunch", "okay, I eat my lunch- THEN we go to the hunting store and buy my new-one bow." Good thing it was Saturday, and we were looking for a family activity- because, had it been any other day, that could have very possibly driven Mommy crazy!

You quickly recognize the years of brainwashing that Andrew has spent on this child- almost as soon as you walk in the door. Just to give you an idea, here are a few sure signs that your child has "the disease": 1) He knows the difference between a "mommy elk" and a "daddy elk" 2) He knows, immediately, which direction the archery section of the store is (and could probably walk there himself) and 3) (among many others) he insists on wearing hunting atire while in the store. On this occasion, he found this hat shortly upon arrival and wore it through the remainder of our visit.
And so, at 2 years and 10 months of age, Gavin Brian Richardson gets his first item of hunting equipment. (And his mom is thrilled that it just so happens to be the one that has the potential to inflict serious injury on its operator, or more specifically on his little brother!)

Despite the now freezing cold weather, it wasn't long before the bow was unpackaged and set to use. Pictures just can't describe the excitement that came out of that little boy as his arrows hit the target. I don't know who was happier- him or daddy!

By the end of the day, all he was able (and allowed) to do alone was this. Looks like he is a natural! (Either that or watching all of those hunting shows with daddy paid off!) Hands down- best $25 we have ever spent.

And don't think we forgot about Tristan. He was perfectly happy spending the day riding on daddy's shoulders, running loose every chance he got (which meant anytime he was put down)- and specifically engaging himself in his daddy's other obsession (obsession not out of choice, but still). The phone! Although, by the end of the day, he was well aquainted with the word "deer" and what that means. I predict it won't be long!


6 comments:

Brianna E. said...

Okay- that was a seriously cute post. Like father like son!

blaine and michelle said...

That looks like so much fun! I love it! He's going to be a master hunter by 10!

Hales Family said...

I know all about that! Daxton wants to wear camo pants and shirts everyday because he is going hunting. And NAte already taught him to do an elk call. It doesnt take long before they are obsessed like their dad's right? :)

Anonymous said...

He already looks like a pro!! I'm sure Andrew just loved the excitment that was coming from Gavin. How fun!

heidijogoody said...

that Gavin is sure a smart kid I am sure you are always having to watch what you say since he remembers things so well. Looks like this is a really good daddy son bonding experience and it looks like you need a girl so you can have the same mommy daughter experiences :)

Kristin D. said...

You are such a wonderful and brave mother. I need to be more like you.