Friday, April 4, 2008

"Should Not, Would Not"

No- we aren't saying prayers (or at least he isn't- mom is praying that we both survive this two year old stage). This is how Gavin spends, probably (depending on the day) one fourth of his time each day. We've gone from holding him on our lap (arms folded) to standing in the corner, to this. So, what did he do?
Gavin learned quickly that "NO isn't a word that mom and dad want to hear. Doesn't mean he doesn't say it, but he is very well aware that a consequence will follow. Only now, this all to smart little boy of ours, has found an alternative way of letting us know he isn't going to/or doesn't want to do something- and we are starting the learning process all over again. Thank you, Dr. Seuss.

Yes, you guessed it from the title of the post. The new phrase, "I should not, would not" has gotten pretty old around here. Let me give you a few examples to paint a solid picture. (And the capitalization is used to show an increase in tone.) Me: "Gavin, eat your food." Gavin: "I SHould not, WOULD not, eat my FOOD." Me: "Gavin, give me the bucket." (as he is dumping water by the buckets out of the bath) Gavin: "I would not SHOULD NOT." Me: "Gavin, get off of Tristan" (as he is sitting on him) Gavin: "I SHould not would NOT!"

And thus, the pictures. Need I say more? Just a side note- he isn't allowed to pull faces like this (pout) either. Normally he gets a look and then his cheek flicked, if needed. To avoid another, he has to smile (not the whole time, just briefly)- and there is no describing how funny the forced smile look is. I haven't caught it on camera yet (because in this particular case, he choose the flick), but I will add it to this post once I do (I am THAT sure this will happen again- TODAY). Oh, to be a kid. What am I talking about- Oh to be a PARENT! Thanks, again, Dr. Seuss.


The forced smile...as promised. Enjoy!

6 comments:

blaine and michelle said...

That is hilarious. I love it.

heidijogoody said...

Oh man sometimes don't you wonder how you hold back the laughs when your kids are doing naughty things.

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing about how you handle this situation. We are going through the exact same thing with Kayci (only her vocabulary is not advanced enough for Dr. Suess - yet). It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things and we might copy some of them.

Kristin D. said...

We are trying to do the time-out thing too. It is hard too.

Anonymous said...

He picks up on things so fast!!! he sure is a cute kid but sorry you have to deal with the attitude.

Mower Clan said...

That is so funny!!! It does get better!!! I hope!!!