Monday, September 29, 2008

I Must Be a Terrible Mom

I am not looking for warm fuzzies, kudos or props here. It's plain and simple: not ONE OTHER PERSON I know of has posted even one child disaster that comes anywhere near to ANY of the ones I have had- in the last few weeks alone! And this one takes the cake. I realized a pattern with the beard trimmer (remember Gavin's reversed mohawk?), the flour, the Pam Baking Spray (twice- didn't show you those!), the shaving cream (also not pictured), the sugar, the toothpaste (again, not repetition is not worth documentation) and the countless boxes/bags of cereal spread throughout the house- those all happened the minute I turned my back, or left the room. Give them a little and they'll make you regret it, right? Not today.

I am IN the kitchen cleaning out cupboards- you know, sorting through expired food, getting rid of things I don't use, etc., and Gavin takes an interest in the boxes of food coloring. Twice I told him NO as he climbed onto the counter and pulled it from the cupboard. He even spent a good amount of time in the corner for just such behavior. Case dropped, right? Wrong! Minutes later, still in the kitchen, I am on the phone with my mom (finding out what food is still useful and what needs to be thrown away), when Tristan walks up to me from the other room COVERED in blood. Or so I thought. Mouth, nose, clothes, hands...I was sure there was a gaping wound somewhere causing the immense amount of color! Wondering what Gavin could have done to injure him in this way (seeing as there was no screaming involved), I see Tristan lick his fingers and say "Mess, Mommy..Mess!". WAIT A SECOND...and then he turns around and I see red drops SQUIRTED all down his back. The results of what could only be a one way "water fight" with the red food coloring. (Sorry, I was not in a position to snap pictures at this time.)

Stomach sinking to the floor, I walk into the family room to survey the damage- secretly hoping that Tristan had taken the full extent of it. Right SMACK in the middle of the carpet (the boys had been playing in a blanket fort most of the morning, so this was right out in front of their "fort") was a 12"X12" blotch of red, yellow, green and mostly blue food coloring. Even worse, next to this blotch lay three empty bottles of food coloring. Empty meaning this blotch was SATURATED! (Seriously, the pictures don't even come CLOSE.) And in the fort, to no surprise, was Gavin- covered in green food coloring (Now that I think about it, Tristan must have held his own- although, my fear is that they were both actually trying to drink the food coloring instead of fight with it, and I don't even want to know what that is going to mean for their systems.)


Pictures being the last thing on my mind at the time, I ripped their clothes off, threw them in the bath, and called Andrew. Now I should have been crying at this point, but I was too furious to even consider the option. The only advice anyone could give was to look on the internet and experiment- it could'nt get worse right? Wrong. Here is a list of things listed on the internet that DO NOT WORK!

1. Vinegar- helps a little, but unless you have GALLONS it isn't going to do the job alone.
2. Peanut Butter- yeah, genius who came up with that one is not one of my favorite people.
3. Vinegar AND Peanut Butter- don't get me started.
4. Dish Soap- used in too large a quantity creates a colorful/bubbly mess of it's own.
5. Laundry Soap- again, soap is too hard to handle.
6. Carpet Cleaner- again, not enough and too much to wipe up.




So what did work? 2 bottles of vinegar, 20+ GALLONS of boiling water, a steam cleaner, and even more patience. Oh, and just a note, that 12"X12" square turned into a 6'X6' blurr of color before I was done (there were miniscule drops of color that must have splashed as they were dumping. You can imagine the smearing.) Gallon by gallon and four hours later, I finally have my carpet back to normal.

(This picture is AFTER blotting out all the color with a dry cloth. Imagine what happened once I started adding water! The camera wouldn't capture the color at that point.)

Oh, and it turns out that 1 1/2 hours in the tub cured the food coloring stains from the boys skin!) Don't even judge, I am already giving you that I am a terrible mom and I can only deal with one mess at a time. Speaking of, I now have to figure out how to deal with the pile of stained clothing (and the food coloring stains that, even after all that, are permanently on my hands).


So, needless to say, hours later as my boys are clean, sleeping soundly in their beds, I am having my cry. Their is no other explaination, I really must not be a very good mom. Good cleaner, though- I'll give you that.

13 comments:

Mandi said...

OH LYNDSEY! that would be the most discouraging thing! I can't imagine a worse thing to hit the carpet. You are SUCH a good mom. I can't believe you got it clean! You are sooo good with those boys! shoot! if you need a break Ben and I would love to watch your boys!

blaine and michelle said...

You're so not a bad mom. You just have two little boys -- something I am about to embark on myself, and then I'm sure I'll have plenty of similar blogs. Just ask Annie Laurie about all the trouble Joshua and Michael used to get in to. I'm sure you remember her flooded basement...

Kim Felt said...

Oh the patience you must have! Maybe there is a reason god gave me 3 girls. I definetly lack in the patience catagory. just so you know, a bad mom would have left, or put them on ebay. a good mom cleans it up and cries later. You are a GOOD mom!

Kristin D. said...

I think you handled the whole thing great. It is almost too much for me when they spill their food on the floor, so I am greatly impressed with how you handled it.

Anonymous said...

i can't even believe that! Lynds I am so sorry!!! That's the hard part about the boys getting into troule..it seems like you are the one that pays for it as you spend hours cleaning up after them. I'm so sorry!!! I love you so much babe! You are one of the greatest moms i know..i'm not just saying that. I really mean it. I've always admired you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lyndsey I'm sorry! That really sucks! It's funny to see what your boys do, but not so funny because we know what you go through to clean up all their messes!

Brianna E. said...

Wow Lyns! A lot of new posts, so here come the comments: 1. The penny game sounds fun! I'll have to play it sometime. 2. Aren't you sick of all the hunting yet? 3. Sorry about the food color mess! My suggestion- purchase two child leashes and never let those boys out of your sight! j/k Sounds like you handled it all well and became an expert carpet cleaner to boot!

Hales Family said...

You are not a bad mom! some kids are just more miscevious then others. We had a neighbor in cali that her boy would do things like that almost everyday. But he just turned 4 and she said he has out grown that stage. Just be patient...you must already have alot! :)

heidijogoody said...

Oh girl I swear these boys are always giving you a run for your money. I think all of us that read this post will look at you and say you are a better mom then me because if this were my kids I think they would be dead!

Tiffany Joy said...

Oh my gosh! I can't even imagine what I would have done. But thanks.. because when (notice I said when) this happens to me, I'll know exactly what to do. You poor little mother. They'll get theirs... eventually!

Heather said...

Don't give up! Hey this is going to sound really weird but I have heard by people I trust and work really closely with that WD40 works wonders with stains. Call me and we'll chat. Love you. Keep your chin up.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone! My kids are very destructive! Going from Permanant Black marker on our carpet to whatever else they can find to destroy my house! So much for buying a new home right!! LOL kids will be kids! PS Did you ever try windex to clean it up? For some strange reason that work on the permanant Marker but not on the washable markers. I question that myself!

Anonymous said...

Boston loves Karate he last about 15 min and it's a 30min class!!But he gets better and better every time he goes!!You should come put your boys in!!It's that Jaguar Sport Karate right by Chevron (by us)!! I pay 40 a month and it's a mom and me class! I bet they would give you a discount for 2 boys! I amthe only one in the class right now. If oyu want more info let me know!