Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Curiosity

I have to say, trying to prepare for baby number 3 is proving to be quite the endeavor. Especially when:

1. Due dates mean next to nothing based on past experience.
2. Daddy is hundreds of miles away and is still very much needed at the delivery.
3. Pregnancy killed brain cells aside, I have very limited memory capabilities and (even though it has only been three years) I can't remember exactly what is needed for and how to do the new baby thing.
4. Any intended hand-me-down items from the previous two (which isn't many considering they were both boys) are packed securely away in a storage unit where they will likely remain until some undetermined time after the baby is born.
5. (and the most significant) My inability to make decisions is still very much intact.

Which brings me to the purpose of this post. Deciding on a name for this little girl is proving to be no exception. I very much am one who needs to feel right about the name selected-whether that comes before they are born as with Gavin, or days after as was the case with Tristan. So, with that in mind as you lend your opinion (meaning, I really am just curious and will do what we feel is right in the end, regardless- no offense) tell me what you think.

Actually, to be more specific, I am talking middle names here. The first name (as many of you know and have known for years) was actually decided 14 years ago (story to come).

Emma

My question then, is this: of the options below, what is your choice/opinion on her middle name?
1. No middle name (I do not have a middle name, so we are considering the option of opting out for this little one as well).
2. Lyn/Lynne/Lynn (Coming from my name. A family name, but not necessarily the most original. Keep in mind it will not be combined- she will just be called Emma).
3. Something not necessarily family related, perhaps a little more unique.

Perhaps reading your responses will help me in a direction at least. And maybe then Andrew will finally tell me what HE really thinks/feels and we can have one thing (the most important) checked off our list.

11 comments:

Kristin D. said...

I LOVE the middle name. I am also a fan of giving kids middle names. As for spelling I am voting for Lyn.

jamie said...

I LOVE Emma. No ideas for middle names though!

Denise said...

I don't have a middle name, so of course that would be my vote. I don't know very many girls that don't have one so I have always thought that was unique about me & liked it. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I like Lyd because it ties in with your name and I think that is cute!

Alysha said...

I think Emma's middle name should be Alysha. I mean, I am your favorite cousin! and it has family ties! HAHA just kidding! I like Emma Lyn. I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of Lyn, before i even got to that part of the post i thought that'd a cute name!

heidijogoody said...

I am all for middle names both my girls have one. I like Lyn for a middle name but here are some other ones I think would be cute

Emma Jean or you could use my middle name
Emma Jo :)

Heather said...

I like the idea of having a middle name. PJ has a very strong opinion about middle names: make sure it is a real name, it can be unique but not spelled dumbly, and it shouldn't have the same number of syllables as the first or last name. There! How is that for just 3 Pj's rules. It is amazing that Jack got named at all.
PJ and I brainstormed ideas...here goes:
Emma Joy
Emma Elizabeth
Emma Lea (said like Lee)
Emma Lyndsey
Emma Alexis
Emma Andrea
Emma Scott
...well here are a few I could get PJ to say he likes...he is a hard critic. Plus it is entertaining to talk names with him...

blaine and michelle said...

I love Emma Lyn. If you recall, it was on our list when we were brainstorming twin girl names back in the day (but don't worry - it has since been vetoed so no problems with repeats here). I like the spelling of Lyn because it's like your name, or Lynne because it's more feminine. I don't really like Lynn because it seems like the boy way to spell it. Whatever you decide, it's going to be adorable and I can't wait to meet her in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

I vote for Lyn/Lynne/Lynn or my personal preference - Lyne! I am a little biased though as this is my middle name!

Kim Felt said...

You already know I like the name Lynn. It is very feminine. I have a middle name and I kept it after I got married and dropped my maiden name. I'm going to mess up geneology I know. :) But I like my middle name...and now kaylee has it too!