Monday, August 3, 2009

Still That Time



I might title this post "It's that time Again" with a little more excitement, rather than "It's still that Time" if things were going well with Tristan's potty training experience. Yes, he has completed a chart (a feat that was celebrated profusely), but it was painstakingly done so. More than half of those stickers were from before the move when Grandma Tina was in charge, and the others have been practically forced. Instead, let me paint a rather vivid picture of what the experience really is like:

1. He refuses to wear a diaper any more, insisting instead upon "Nani the Queen Poyups" (FYI he can say Lightning perfectly fine, but goes with his infant pronunciation instead). Let me tell you how that is adding up in cost especially when,

2. He pulls off his pull ups at the first hint of wetness- leaving the wet/soiled one in random places around the house. This wouldn't be so bad if he could manage to get a new one out of the cupboard (which he can't quite reach) and pull it on (which he can't quite do by himself). So,

3. He walks around the house half naked several times a day until I have noticed and get him re-situated. (As I mentioned, in a pullup or he screams and pulls the diaper off and we are back to naked). Again, this wouldn't be so bad if it didn't include messy diapers meaning some of those times he walks around with feces on his little behind and you can imagine where else. Oh yes, we have dealt with

4. Puddles of urine and the occasional pile of feces on the floor (thank goodness all of the times have been in the playroom where there is a wood floor!)

The only success we have had is in setting a timer for every 20 minutes and making him sit on the potty, but even then we have only gotten him to go #1 and let me tell you how difficult it is with three kids and moving in to remember to set a stinking timer! So, there you have my potty training situation. And it isn't as though I can just give up and go back to diapers. What to do?

Tristan has always done things in his own time and in his own way, but I was realizing the other day that pretty much each milestone he has been behind on (crawling, walking, stair climbing) has come about after some extensive time with Grandma Tina and Grandpa Jeff. Get ready you two because I am about ready to ship him off to you for awhile. Send him home when he is fully trained, will you. In the meantime, any suggestions- send my way. It can only help!

There are preschools for toddlers, elementary/junior high/high schools for kids, colledge/vocational schools for adults, obedience schools for pets...
WHY ON EARTH AREN'T THERE POTTY TRAINING SCHOOLS?

4 comments:

Blackner Family said...

don't have boys so good luck with that. I don't think i could handle that.

heidijogoody said...

Good luck with it all. I have heard ever kid does it on their own time and schedule! That is just too bad that he refuses to wear the diapers because pull ups are quite expensive! Keep us updated

Anonymous said...

I love your boys. They crack me up. The things they say just blow me away. Haha. Emma is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! I love her!! I never got to hold her. :( I'll have to remedy that sometime.

Jill said...

I'm going through the same thing with Kyson right now who thought he was ready, but is now rebelling. I'll let you know if we have a breakthrough that works. Emma is gorgeous and your new home looks like it is beautiful. I can't wait to see more pictures!