So the intent was to list our traditions 5 or so at a time as we did them, but that didn't quite work out as planned. Oh well, I guess the important thing was that we did them, right? I know you are all curious as to what they are, so...in no particular order:
1-5 were already posted about
Tradition #6
Decking our Halls
As mentioned in previous years, we spend the Sunday after Thanksgiving decorating our Christmas tree and eating yummy rolled up pancakes. It actually has worked out the last few years to be two Sundays after Thanksgiving, for one reason or another, so I guess that is becoming a tradition in and of itself. We have a tradition within this tradition that is one of my favorite times of the Christmas season. Each time we go on a trip of any measure, we bring home a Christmas ornament to signify our time on that trip. During this tree decorating, we unwrap each ornament individually and reminisce of trips past- which usually turns into dreaming of trips to come. I definitely recommend adopting this one for any interested. Even the boys find the ornaments more special when they know they are "daddy and mommy's honeymoon ball" or "the Brazil girl from visiting daddy's mission," etc.
I would wager to guess that our trip ornaments are becoming even more important to the boys as the Christmas star- which believe you me has been a matter of high importance in years past. This year that most important of jobs was assigned to me under the strict direction of both Gavin and Tristan. And, sadly to say, this is the only picture of the completed Christmas tree we took this year, so it will have to do.
Christmas Movies (Traditions 7-12 this year)
I am sure there are others we watched, but these seven made it to the list of Christmas traditions.
Christmas Treats (Traditions 13-15 this year)
This year, for our neighbor/ward friends, we made Christmas boxes filled with yummy treats. Some of these included:
Candy Cane Cookies
Truffles
Dipped Pretzles
Not Pictured
Tradition #16
Letters to Santa
This was the third year I have thought about doing this, and only the first that I have actually done it. That is right, we MAILED our letters to Santa in plenty of time this year. He must have got them because the kids got everything they asked for and more!
Tradition #17
Gingerbread Houses
A classic favorite. This year the boys went solo on this one. I think it turned out pretty great for no adult tweaking.
Christmas Activities (Traditions 18-23)
These will vary from year to year, but I have no doubt that each year will be as busy with Christmas festivities as this one was. Here is what we did:
Holiday Tea with my visiting teachers (thanks Chadlee and Mitzy if you read this. I loved it!)
Nursery Party (thanks again Chadlee. You inspire me!)
Christmas Lights around Town
Cookie Playdates
(This is the only one I got a picture of, so here you go. The boys with their fun friends Andrew and Joshua.)
Visiting Santa
Ward Carolling
(These last two we actually didn't get to do. We had them planned, but business trips and sickness made us change plans. It is the thought that counts though, right?)
And there you have it. 23 Christmas traditions in 23 days. And-now I have a list for next year and won't have to come up with them from scratch. Bonus! What a fun Christmas season this was!
3 comments:
Love the Christmas movie choices! Good call.
You've already sold me on the ornaments from trips thing. Now we just have to go places.
You inspire me! I want to do more next year...it was hard this year when we spent the entire time in Utah and not at our house. Can I get the Candy cane Cookie recipe? Please?
Post a Comment