Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sew Crafty

I am a mom.  Not a seamstress, not an artist, and certainly not a craft extraordinaire.  I probably should have more time in my days than I do, but I don't.  I wish I had more dollars in the bank, but I don't.  I am, however, far too easily inspired.  So...if it can be done (inexpensively) in an hour, I will attempt it.  My goal:  one craft, one hour, one day a week.  Think I can do it?  Check out my new crafting blog on the side to see my attempts.

To get you started, however, here is a fun one.
Have any fitted T-shirts that magically shrunk in the wash, or have somehow become too tight for comfort?  (Or maybe even those old maternity shirts that don't make you want to throw up to look at?)  And yet...be it color, style, pattern or whatever, you can't seem to commit to getting rid of them.  There they hang in the back of your closet, or hidden away in your dresser drawer, taking up space and serving as a daily reminder that far too much of your current wardrobe is unwearable.  Well, fear not because there are solutions other than the garbage and/or charitable donation options.  How about turning that favorite little T-shirt into a fun little Spring dress/tunic for posterity?  That was my aim for this week.  I discovered that there are more possibilities than I can count.  Here is one, but stay tuned because I have several in the workings. (And what would be a complete outfit without a matching bow?)

And, of course, I had to get a few of my little model wearing them (A. because she is so stinking cute and B. to prove that it is, in fact, wearable.)
PS This took me a little longer than one hour, but wouldn't should I attempt it again.  It was long enough for a dress, but I tried something different on the bottom that I wasn't a fan of, so I cut it off.  She could technically still wear it as a dress, but I like it more as a little tunic.  I can't wait until it gets warmer so she can wear it with little white leggin' shorts.  So Sping-y!  I have to admit, I like the shirt better now than I did before.  Mission accomplished.

6 comments:

heidijogoody said...

Wow look at you go! I think that craft was a success

Kristin D. said...

That turned otu so great. I love it!

Hailey said...

Adorable! Aren't girls so fun? I like your craft idea and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do and probably stealing some of your ideas too. haha

Anonymous said...

Sooo cute! You did a great job!!!! The bow is super cute too!

Chadlee said...

Very cute Lyndsey! Can't wait to see more of your creations.

Jill said...

I love it. Nice job on the matching bow too! I'm finding it's so much easier to craft with girls. Have you done the applique shirts for your boys? Dallas' favorite is his shirt with a 5 on it and I did a 1/2 on a onsie when Taryn turned 6 months. I need more ideas. Please keep your cute stuff coming!