Well, it came and it went. The first day of kindergarten- I still can't believe it. The fact that I have a child old enough for school is still such a foreign realization for me. Gavin has always felt older than he actually is- from as long as I can remember. Maybe because his brother came when he was only fourteen months, but I would say that it was so even before that. He is smart, he is capable of being so mature...and so my being emotional at the big day didn't seem likely. Wrong.
Gavin, on the other hand, was a ball of excitement. Waiting until 12:30 was excruciating this particular day, but the time did come around eventually. He picked his own outfit, packed his new backpack, and shuffled us out the door. We met in the gym where they greeted us, welcomed in the class of 2023 (wow!), and walked us out to the kindergarten playground where the kids would be dropped off each day. We said our goodbyes, held back the tears and watched our babies walk through the school doors to their first day in the kindergarten classroom.
Lately, I have been excited for this day to come- I am not going to lie. Gavin is PAST ready for school, and loves everything about it. He loves learning, he loves to be challenged, he loves to experience new things- I knew he would be on cloud nine and that makes any mom happy. Not to mention the three hour break from his brother each day. Big fan of that. Seeing my baby boy actually reach this milestone got me though. It is one of those moments where you just can't explain how much you love your kid. It all goes so fast, before I know it 2023 will be here and I will REALLY be crying. (FYI I held back any tears until he walked in the school and even then only a couple broke loose.)
It didn't take long until I was back to loving it though. Tristan, on the other hand, has a little adjusting to do. I never fully realized how attached to Gavin he actually is. He has never had a day without his older brother around and I am excited to see him embrace his space and individuality. Not as excited as I am to spend some one on one time with him though. Having two babies so close makes that next to impossible for the first few years, sadly enough. Besides, it is true- absence makes the heart grow fonder. At the end of day one, and every day since Gavin has asked, "so how was Tristan today?" Melt my heart.
Needless to say, Gavin LOVED his first day of school and has loved every day since. He actually got upset when I explained that there is no school on Saturdays! He gets excited every day and is so easy to get ready and out the door. This last week we have experimented with the bus, to which he replied about the experience, "it was so totally awesome mom!" He has waited his whole life to ride on a school bus. I am not sure he will be riding it both ways (if any) longer than this week, but at least he got that.
I constantly worry about this little guy: what is he learning, is he safe, is he having a good time, is he being a good kid, have I taught him what he needs to succeed, etc etc. It is a new perspective for a former school teacher to be in the place of the parent. Suddenly I am not so bothered by the overly involved parents, and feel for the ones who are looking for answers. If they love their kids half as much as I do- I understand completely.
Congratulations Gavin! We are already so proud of you!
Gavin Richardson
First Day of Elementary
Creekside Elementary
Mrs. Huntzinger (pm)
August 18, 2010
3 comments:
He sure looks all big ready to go to his first day of kindergarten!
That is awesome! He looks so happy and "grown up".
Wow Gavin! You are so big. I wish I could have seen you get on that bus. I am so pleased that you love school and that you are going to be such an obedient student. What fun! I klove you, Grandma
Post a Comment