I have to say... I am amazed. I know there are differences between having boys and having a girl, but I never thought that one would be so cliche and obvious.
For Christmas last year my mom got Emma her first Cabbage Patch baby. She was only six months old and so I left said doll in the box until I deemed her ready. After constant prodding from her older brothers, I finally caved a couple of days ago and released the doll from it's card board prison. (FYI, said dolls unfortunate name is Verlene Kathaleen. No offense to any of you Verlene Kathaleens out there, but I think we will be choosing a new name asap!) I was sure her brothers would cart the doll away for their own entertainment and Emma herself, would show no interest.
I was wrong! Completely.
She carried the doll around for a good hour before one of the boys dug an old bottle out of the cupboard. Eagerly showing her what to do with the bottle (we don't see much of those around here),
Granted there were a few confusions, but still- a mommy by nature. I wouldn't have believed it. I was sure that dolls and other such girly obsessions were a result of constant exposure and/or force, but not so. My baby girl, surrounded by all things boy (cars, legos, army knights, etc.), knows what she wants, and what she wants is all things GIRL! Specifically her bah-be.
As predicted, the boys still cart the doll off for their games of pretend- but when she does have her baby, she is full of hugs, kisses and loving pats on the head. Melt. My. Heart.
2 comments:
I think it is so nuts how girls just love babies from the start and boys just love balls! Emma is looking so big it is just crazy! Cute thing
My little girl didn't have many girl toys to start with, but she did "girl" things with all the boy toys. We were constantly finding Batman figures wrapped in blankets, tucked into bed (shoes) or with anything for a pillow and a blanket, generally toilet paper.
Post a Comment