Friday, November 25, 2011

Independent Independence Day

This year was the first that I can remember that we have been away from Utah for the 4th of July. Seeing as it is in the top two of my favorite holidays, and happens to be the day after my birthday, I usually like to go all out for the occasion. FYI...Utah (and possibly surrounding states like Idaho) are the only ones I know of who seem to understand the term "go all out" when it comes to our nation's Independence Day. But, we decided to give Colorado the benefit of the doubt this year, seeing as it is our last, and as predicted, we were basically disappointed. And, don't think we didn't try. After our red/white/blue pancake breakfast, we looked up a parade/carnival...turned out there was no parade and "carnival" to them meant a few blow up toys and some free face painting out in the middle of the blistering sun. Blow up toys and sun...no mix. At first touch some of the kiddos burnt their little fingers and wouldn't use up the tickets we purchased. Since adults weren't allowed in the toys, some of the younger kids (who hadn't burnt their fingers) were afraid to go in alone- more wasted tickets. Before the first hour was up...only Gavin seemed to be having a semi-good time. So we packed up and drove home. We tried to make it up to them by buying cotton candy and treats from the booth there, but it failed my idea of a fourth of July. We headed home to a company BBQ at the pool (which I have no pictures of) and then watched a few fireworks from our back deck. We will miss Colorado desperately, but I have to say I will be glad to be in Utah come next 4th of July!





(Can not figure out how to get this image rotated on this computer. Oh well.)

0 comments: