Sunday, September 6, 2009

High Time

"High Tea" time, that is.  I don't know if it was the effects of having a baby girl's hormones combined with my own or what, but all things girl- such as the color pink, pretty little adornments and tea parties- have taken over.  When I discovered that the Grand America Hotel (my coveted hotel destination) does a daily high tea, I itched to go.  Therefore, when my wonderful sister in law, Selina, suggested a girl's lunch for my birthday at a place of my choosing, I had my perfect opportunity.  I have to say, I wouldn't mind making that a yearly tradition.  I am, in no way, getting compensated for saying this, but I would recommend it for any possible occasion you can think of: Mother's Day, a daughter's birthday, or any special occasion- even those including the male gender.  They can hem and haw the entire time, but deep down they will secretly appreciate it.  I don't have to go on for you to get that I loved every minute.  Thanks Selina, for the suggestion- mom for treating, and Kim for being there too.  (We missed you Bri!  Next time.)
Even little Emma got to come along.  Her first tea party is going to be hard to compete with!
I have to mention my favorite parts:  1.  I am no tea expert, but I was fascinated by the green tea centerpiece.  What looked like a rock in a wine glass, was actually a kind of tea that when filled with hot water the flower would blossom as you watched.  And, if you are a tea drinker, it would remain that way as you drink.  I took the tiniest of tastes and have to admit, it tastes awful (as all teas do, in my opinion), but even if you don't drink tea, you still have to appreciate the eloquence!
2.  I thought we got a picture of the charming three tiered tray of sandwiches, scones and spreads, but I am not coming across it.  You'll just have to trust me when I say it was perfectly quaint and tasted delicious.  Coupled with raspberry hot chocolate (my very much preferred substitution for tea), it was perfect!
3.  And the deserts speak for themselves.  Couldn't you just eat everything there?  Given our choice of three (plus a complimentary sample of the berry mousse cake), we practically did.
Believe it or not, even with the small proportions of everything, you actually leave there feeling VERY full.  And, if you ask my opinion, more than satisfied.  Now I just can't wait until Emma is old enough to appreciate the experience so we can go back.  Not that I wouldn't go sooner- you just give me the opportunity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT was very fun and I hope we can do it again soon!

Kristin D. said...

Jealous!!!

heidijogoody said...

what a fun girly activity