I should have known when they choose to super glue the cut on the back of Gavin's head that we were not out of the water on the stitches thing- that before long we would be in for the real deal. Well, we were. One Christmas tree shopping trip gone wrong landed us in the Urgent Care for most of our Saturday afternoon and all of Saturday evening.
It doesn't take much to split open your chin. Andrew has done it, I've done it, Tristan ALMOST did it not one week before (and probably will again in the future.) And now Gavin has done it as well. Mine was a fall off my bicycle. His was a slip on the ice. Hit it the right way and with the right amount of force and there you have it. (You can't tell how deep the cut was from the picture, but bears could have hibernated for the winter in there!)
About an hour was spent waiting to be taken back (above) and another hour was spent here, waiting for the diagnosis. Add another hour in procedure time and you can see how we spent a good part of our Saturday on this. There are only so many books to keep little people's minds off where they are and how long it has been.
But, after much wondering, the doctor did show up and the procedure was started. I don't know if I was supposed to be taking pictures during all of this, so I didn't get everything and some of what I did get isn't all that great.
Step One: Topical Numbing. What looked like Neosporin covered in Saran Wrap was actually a topical numbing ointment that, after setting for 20 minutes makes the wound numb enough to clean and hopefully to inject with the real deal. (Normally Andrew isn't around for things like this, so it was comforting to have him there and see him react to the situation first hand. He was the one to respond to the fall. He was the one to hold Gavin on his lap and put pressure on his bleeding chin. And he never left his side during the whole procedure.)
Step Two: Cleaning. To do this, they placed a towel on his chest and one of those pink kidney shaped bowls (that no child bearing woman wants to see ever again) under his chin. Using a syringe (with a neat little shield to keep from splashing) and water mixed with baby shampoo, the nurse squirted the liquid straight into the cut.
Step Three: Injections. Cleaned and mildly numb, it was time for the worst part. For me and for him. I admit, though, I handled it worse. I flinched, I covered my eyes, I cried a little. Gavin- nothing. He didn't move a muscle, shed a tear or even flinch. Just the same staunt fauce, clutching dad's hand. I had no idea how many they had to do. Granted, after the first few, you are supposed to feel the shots less and less, but STILL. I am amazed how brave my little guy is and am so proud of him.
Step Four: Stitches. They offered to glue the wound, but with it being a facial laceration, stitching comes more recommended. We obviously opted for the stitches and ended up with five in total.
Step Five: Cleaning and Bandaging. It will be a good 7-10 days before these can be removed, so Gavin will be sporting what the doctor referred to as the "beard look" for the next week or so.
All in all, what turned out to be a LONG and unexpected ordeal links us just that much more as a family. Scars and all.
2 comments:
Oh the poor kid but it sure looks like he handled it like a champ!
Oh wow! He's a brave kid! So are you lynds, that'd be hard. I'm so glad that Andrew was able to be with you this time. I've had stitches on my chin too Gavin, we are best buds now!
Post a Comment