of our favorite Christmas things.
I admit it. I am next to obsessive compulsive. I am a perfectionist. I am task oriented. I am a planner and a organizer to say the least. I am completely and overly anal retentive. And it is my opinion that a holiday/birthday/celebration of any sort should be made the biggest deal possible of. Why? For the sheer enjoyment of life. To keep things interesting, exciting, different. To make people feel special. Need I go on? Do I always do this? Not even close, but I always want to in my head and when I don't I am disappointed. NOT THIS CHRISTMAS.
This Christmas I made a list of 25 of my favorite Christmas things (that are in our budget range, which means not ALL of my favorite things are on there) and have given Andrew and the kids no other option but to go all out. I haven't heard a complaint from the boys, but I know Andrew has had to be supportive a time or two, and for that I am appreciative.
(I'd include my list in its entirety, but I am just compulsive enough to have to have a picture of each event- big or small, so I will do this in parts.)
Day 1: Chocolate Advent Calendars
This one was actually Andrew's idea, but you didn't hear any complaining from me. Growing up I remember having these edible Christmas countdowns, but it has been years since I have seen them around (perhaps from lack of looking.) Anyway, Andrew was at World Market (rapidly becoming one of our favorite stores) and found these well in advance. Thanks babe. The boys LOVE them, and we can cross Christmas thing number one off the list.
2. Paper Chains
This one took a little "grin and bear it" from dad, but as you can see, the boys did most of the work themselves. They LOVE tearing off their links and now I don't have to hear "is it Christmas today" anymore. Double bonus. Christmas thing number two successfully completed.
3. Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Classic. The boys have watched this several times since, but the first viewing consisted of a "picnic style" dinner (aka on a blanket in front of the TV) and the whole family. Christmas thing number three well received by all.
4. Playing in the Snow and Peppermint Hot Chocolate
It was coincidence that this happened to be the boys first time playing in the snow for this year, and what better timing! The point was to get them good and cold for their delicious hot chocolate, and it worked! FYI: It isn't Christmas hot chocolate unless it has peppermint! Christmas thing number four- devoured.
5. Tree Shopping
We are of the "it isn't Christmas without a real tree" opinion, so each year we make a day of selecting a Christmas tree. We usually frequent a local seller, but believe it or not, there just aren't many of those around here. There are a few, but none closer than the 0.2 mile away Home Depot. So, that is where we went. What felt like subzero temperatures were not ideal to say the least, but far more ideal than where we ended up.
The Rocky Mountain Urgent Care. Not exactly on the Christmas list. Within minutes of walking the tree isles of the Home Depot, Gavin wanders just out of view and slips on a patch of ice. A hard enough hit to the chin and viola. You find yourself here. During the hour plus long wait (yes, you heard me right- OVER AN HOUR) I head back to the Home Depot to quickly purchase an adequate tree and make it back to the Urgent Care in enough time to hear the verdict. Five stitches (post to come.)
Christmas thing number 5 accomplished, and then some.
So far so good. We have kept on schedule and I am definitely feeling in better Christmas spirits. More to come...
2 comments:
What a great idea! Can't wait to hear what other fun things were on your list and accomplished.
I love Tristan's smile and Emma is getting so big! Wow!!! I'm so sad that I don't know her! She's missing out on her A. Kathi! :( haha
Post a Comment